The Ten Utterances
The Torah relates that “face within face the One spoke to us upon the mountain in the midst of the fire.” (D’varim 5:4)
Here is an original translation of the Aseret HaDibrot, the Ten Utterances that came forth from that moment.
1. I am, I was, I will be. I am the unfolding of all that is. I am constant transformation calling you forward to be.
2. You cannot arrest me in motion. You cannot grasp or hold onto time. Do not strive for certainty. Do not seek permanence.
3. Do not use a Divine name to make false promises. Do not use sacred teachings to lift up a destructive path.
4. Rest, Stop, Pause. Be. Honor creation. Declare your freedom. Rest and allow others to rest as well.
5. Honor your parents. Honor your ancestors. Honor those upon whose shoulders you stand.
6. Do not murder.
7. Do not betray.
8. Do not steal.
9. Do not use the power of words to hurt or destroy.
10. Feel the fullness of your life. Don’t be led astray by comparing yourself to others. Don’t get lost in desiring what others have. Be content, be fulfilled with what your life brings.
--Rabbi Yael Levy