How to Count the Omer Pt. 3: How to Count
• Find a place to stand where you won’t be disturbed for a few moments.
• Take a soft, deep breath and begin with the introductory prayer.
• Take a moment to name the spiritual quality of the week (to be posted once a week on Saturday evenings). With gentleness and discipline, commit yourself to notice how this quality will unfold within and around you as you go through the next 24 hours.
• On some nights, you might find you do not have the time for the whole practice. In that case, say the prayer for counting and count the day.
• Practices are strengthened through repetition and routine. Counting in the same location and around the same time each evening can help sustain your practice.
The Omer teachings you will see here and can receive as nightly email reminders by signing up for our mailing list, are taken from Rabbi Yael Levy's Omer guide, Journey through the Wilderness, which is available as a whole in print or as an ebook.
The daily teachings will begin Saturday March 31 and continue to Shavuot, May 19. A Way In also invites you to join us for our retreat in the high desert of New Mexico for the last days of the Counting.
The practice as well as Rabbi Yael were featured in a 2015 New York Times article.